Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

already in Jp for 2 weeks

Classes started last Thursday. I'm taking:

Mon: Japanese, Marketing in Japan
Tues: Japanese, Urban Soc of Jp
Wed: Internship at a marketing research company in Harajuku
Thurs: Japanese, Soc Org. of Jp
Fri: Japanese

The Jp classes are 1.5 hours long and 3 hours long on Friday, the other classes all meet only once a week for 3 hours. 3 hours long lectures = nap time. I could still stay awake for the first hour, but after that my eyelids are out of my control. The classes are pretty interesting and none of them are too hard.

Commuting

Commuting takes at least 2 hours round trip from where I live to school and back. I'm already fed up with commuting and waking up at least 2 hours before class starts to go to school + an extra 40 minutes to get ready. I thought that would be all the commuting I have, but obviously not. My Marketing in Jp class is not on my campus, so I'd actually have to travel an hour to another campus Mon afternoon for it.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlNyCHlLt1Y

Breakfast @ homestay 

People here don't take breakfast to go, or it may be just my host family. They all eat breakfast at home, which means I have to eat breakfast at home too. I can't say I like it, it's really awkward for me to eat breakfast at home. The 2nd day I came to the host family (Sun), my host mom "asked" (more like implying) if I can make my own breakfast on weekdays. I said "yea, sure" because I thought maybe she usually wakes up later, so she couldn't make me breakfast. But that's not the case, she's the 1st person awake everyday and she makes her family breakfast, except for me. They would have fish/ soup/ toast/ fried egg/ yogurt for breakfast and me who's sitting on the same table eating breakfast with them will be eating raisin rolls and cereal. WTF?! 

Meals @ homestay

I don't think I'm getting enough nutrients. This family has such a different eating habit. They only have 2 -3 dishes for the entire family (small dishes) for dinner and rice + soup. They eat a lot of rice! So it makes me feel like if I'm still hungry, I should just get more white rice which is literally just carbohydrates with no nutrients at all. Last Saturday, we had dumplings and rice for dinner. Dumplings and rice and nothing else! Everyone got about 3 - 4 dumplings and unlimited rice. Yay............ WTF?! I can't believe this is what they fed me. 

Host family is paid US20/ day to feed me breakfast and dinner (no lunch included), USD20 just to buy food for me. My breakfast for the 5 days costs ~ USD 2 = ~200 yen =  USD 0.40 or 40 yen/ day. Doesn't that mean I should be eating really good dinner?! Seriously, why don't you just give me 20 dollars a day for me to buy my own food. I could eat at Sweets Paradise (dessert/ spaghetti buffet for USD 15) everyday and still have $ left over.





To my dearest friends: stop asking me how i like jp. To be nice, I always say I still need time to get used to it or just lie and say I like it. The truth is i dont like it here. i dont think i can stand this place for a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment