Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

I'm going barefoot today. Join Me

can you imagine walking into a pubic bathroom barefoot? Walking around campus Saturday or Sunday early morning when there are glasses on the ground? Do you know that when some of us girls have over 10, 20, 30 pairs of shoes, there are kids around the world who walk barefoot every single day of their lives? You want to pretend that you don't know what's going on? Keep pretending. Keep being oblivious, if you have the ability of bury your guilt.


When I tell people that I'm an Advertising major, there are usually two reactions: "that's an interesting major" or "so you are one of those who help build the evil consumerism machine". Sad, isn't it. That's what people think of advertising. I couldn't help but think what my future will be after I graduate. Am I going to be joining the force of promoting alcohol sales and cigarettes sale and how much clothes and shoes and how many purses and named brands we need? There are more important issues in the world that we should care about. And those issues are definitely not did I get the newest $3000 LV purse, am I wearing the $500 Jimmy Choo shoes, how do I become more like the 4 girls in the Sex and the City. If you are a girl who just has to buy shoes (it's ok, I'm one of those too), get TOMS. You get a new pair and someone in need gets a pair too. When Sheldon asked the class: will you work on alcohol or cigarette accouts? Will you work in agencies with those accounts? I clearly remember shaking my head for both, no, a definite no. Advertising has the great power to influence millions and even trillions of people, and I want to spread the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment